Saturday, January 21, 2012

IMM #10

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme to share what we bought, checked out, swapped, or won. IMM is hosted by The Story Siren . I decided to add the synopsis of the books . 1st up what i won/gifted [if pb or hb is not mentioned it's a e-book]




A Season of Eden
by Jennifer Laurens

Publication Date: October 20th 2008 by Grove Creek Publishing

He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible. I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said
[paprback]


Review


Winter's Kiss: The Twelve Dates of Christmas; the Ex Gamesby Jennifer Echols , Catherine Hapka

Publication Date: January 3rd 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

Cozy up to a double dose of winter-themed romantic comedy with two books in one bind-up.Lexi has come up with a master plan to make Cameron break up with her: get him to fall for another girl so she’ll be free (and guilt-free, too). But when the plan goes well—too well—Lexi starts to wonder if she hasn’t made a terrible mistake. Has she let the perfect guy get away? And is it too late to get him back?     Meanwhile, Hayden and Nick’s steamy relationship has ended in a frosty breakup, and now they’re just friends. But when they decide to go head-to-head in a boarding contest, the friendly competition gets heated….Will sparks start to fly on and off the slopes?
 [exited and its personalized and signed[paprback]




Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne
by Cody Young

Publication Date:  October 27th 2011 by Golden Bay Press 

I’m seventeen and he’s twenty-one. That’s okay… isn’t it? He drives a Lamborghini. So what? He was born in 1462. Uh-oh. He seeks revenge, but there is one person standing in his way. Me. 
On a high school trip to London, Madison Lambourne meets seductive stranger Johnny De Vere, who believes he knows her already, and is torn between love and revenge. Eager to learn more about this beautiful, lonely young man, Madison agrees to go with him to a re-enactment at the Tower of London. Dressed as a highborn medieval lady in a black velvet gown, she accidentally slips through a doorway that leads to the past. Knowing she will not last long on the streets of medieval London, Johnny must follow her… with devastating consequences for them both. A wild time-travel adventure full of love, lies, mystery and betrayal. 
[exited whoo hoo/ signed paprback]



Broods of Fenrir
by Coral Moore

Publication Date: November 20th 2011 by Bared Teeth Pubhlishing

Shapeshifter Brand Geirson was raised to rule the Broods of Fenrir, but he refused his birthright. Instead, he killed their brutal leader–his own father–and walked away.
For hundreds of years he’s avoided brood society, until a werewolf kills an innocent human woman and Brand finds himself dragged back into the violent politics of the shapeshifters. When the two brood women who mean the most to him come under threat, he must take up the throne and risk becoming the kind of vicious bastard his father was, or let the broods descend further into chaos–taking the friend he swore to protect and his lover with them


Legend of the Inero Dragon
by J.F. Jenkins

Publication Date: January 16th 2012 by Astraea Press

Twin brothers Jason and Matthias Inero are the favorite sons of the great dragon lord of fire. More often than not they get whatever they want. Matt wants to do great things for his people while Jason wants to go off and explore the world. Both can have what they desire, but not until they take a bride and enter into adulthood. 
Enter Kat and Gwen, two girls from very different backgrounds. Kat is happy to leave her home when the royal guard comes to bring her to loving arms of her childhood sweetheart, Matt. Gwen on the other hand is livid to be taken from her farm only to be thrust into Jason's life, and he's not to thrilled with the idea either. They have one year to find happiness with each other, or else they will be placed at the mercy of the ruthless dragon lord Lynx. Favorite or not, dragon law must be obeyed. 
As their nation begins to prepare for war against a neighboring tribe, the brothers find themselves as key components in the battle plans. A dark prophet has had a vision of Inero victory, but at what cost? Both must decide where their loyalties lie and what they're willing to sacrifice – including each other – to achieve their goals



Vlad the Paler
by Malthea

Publication Date: 26th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

When half-Korean sci fi-fantasy gamer nerd Cyrus Gae goes out clubbing on his first night of vacation, he’s not expecting to be bitten by a vampire. Not in Florida, the land of sunshine and Mickey Mouse. He’s not exactly averse to being a creature of the night, but he’s righteously pissed off about the vampire’s cavalier eat-and-run attitude. Determined to track down Troy, the bloodsucker who turned him, Cyrus takes the name Vlad and begins a search that will take him to leather bars, vampire dens, and cyber cafés. 
As Cyrus hunts the elusive vampire, he meets Logon, the hipster/geek love of his afterlife; Vinnie, his Girl Friday the 13th; and even an intersexual voodoo queen, while learning that being a supernatural bad-ass isn’t quite what he imagined. In fact, hardly anything is what it seems, and Vlad finds himself in the middle of an intrigue involving Florida’s master vampire—who isn’t thrilled about Vlad’s sudden appearance in his domain. With powerful forces aligning against Vlad, he’ll have no choice but to become the hero he never wanted to be if he wants to keep his beloved Logon safe


Bought[library sale /print]



Lord of the Flies
by William Golding

Publication Date:   1990 by Putnam 

William Golding's classic tale about a group of English schoolboys who are plane-wrecked on a deserted island is just as chilling and relevant today as when it was first published in 1954. At first, the stranded boys cooperate, attempting to gather food, make shelters, and maintain signal fires. Overseeing their efforts are Ralph, "the boy with fair hair," and Piggy, Ralph's chubby, wisdom-dispensing sidekick whose thick spectacles come in handy for lighting fires. Although Ralph tries to impose order and delegate responsibility, there are many in their number who would rather swim, play, or hunt the island's wild pig population. Soon Ralph's rules are being ignored or challenged outright. His fiercest antagonist is Jack, the redheaded leader of the pig hunters, who manages to lure away many of the boys to join his band of painted savages. The situation deteriorates as the trappings of civilization continue to fall away, until Ralph discovers that instead of being hunters, he and Piggy have become the hunted: "He forgot his words, his hunger and thirst, and became fear; hopeless fear on flying feet." Golding's gripping novel explores the boundary between human reason and animal instinct, all on the brutal playing field of adolescent competition. --Jennifer Hubert 



Wide Sargasso Sea
by Jean Rhys

Publication Date:  2000 by Penguin Books Ltd.

Wide Sargasso Sea is the story of Antoinette Cosway, a Creole heiress who grew up in the West Indies on a decaying plantation. When she comes of age she is married off to an Englishman, and he takes her away from the only place she has known--a house with a garden where "the paths were overgrown and a smell of dead flowers mixed with the fresh living smell. Underneath the tree ferns, tall as forest tree ferns, the light was green. Orchids flourished out of reach or for some reason not to be touched." 
The novel is Rhys's answer to Jane Eyre. Charlotte Brontë's book had long haunted her, mostly for the story it did not tell-- Antoinette is Rhys's imagining of a locked-up woman amd Wide Sargasso Sea follows her voyage into the dark, both from her point of view and Rochester's. It is a voyage charged with soul-destroying lust. --Emily White 


The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
by Mark Twain

Publication Date: April 1st 2003 by Bantam Classics (first published December 10th 1884)

Hilariously picaresque, epic in scope, alive with  the poetry and vigor of the American people, Mark  Twain's story about a young boy and his journey  down the Mississippi was the first great novel to  speak in a truly American voice. Influencing  subsequent generations of writers -- from Sherwood  Anderson to Twain's fellow Missourian,  T.S. Eliot, from Ernest Hemingway and William  Faulkner to J.D. Salinger --  Huckleberry Finn, like the river  which flows through its pages, is one of the great  sources which nourished and still nourishes the  literature of America


Borrowed


The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)
by Suzanne Collins

Publication Date:  July 1st 2010 by Scholastic Inc. (first published September 14th 2008)

Winning means fame and fortune. Losing means certain death. The Hunger Games have begun... 

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, the shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love
[print]



So that's what I got this week


What did You Get?

77 comments:

  1. I hate lord of the flies!!
    My books on here:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of books! I've heard A Season of Eden is really good. It has been so many years since I've read Huck Finn. I hope you enjoy Hunger Games. Enjoy all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like The Legend Of The Inero Dragon. Looks inreresting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Vlad the Paler sounds like an interesting book. And yay Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games! One of my all-time favourite series :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy everything Thanks for stopping by my IMM!

    http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-my-mailbox-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Season of Eden looks interesting. And Winter's Kiss sounds adorable! I love Jennifer Echols' books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely books you have here. Ah! Huckleberry Finn. Great book. I've never heard of Winter's Kiss, but I'll definitely add it on my TBR list given that it's written by one of my favorite YA Romance writers, Jennifer Echols! Oh. You've got to read Forget You, Endless Summer, Going Too Far if you haven't already done so. Great IMM! Happy, happy reading!

    By the way, I'm currently hosting two giveaways on my blog if you'd like to check 'em out!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Season of Eden sounds interesting! Have an awesome week, Ro!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi roro, thanks for following my blog, i'm following you too!
    http://BooksandSparkles.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome IMM! Congrats :) I "had" to read Lord of the Flies in school few years ago, and have to say I loved it! Definitely need to buy it some day :)

    Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you love The Hunger Games!!! It is addicting let me tell you! Great haul this week and thanks for stopping by the blog! [:

    ShawnaLeAnn
    Dreaming In The Pages Enter My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved A Season of Eden. A little slow at first but a really interesting book. Hunger Games is amazing of course! I think I read Lord of the Flies in middle school. As usual, you have some other really interesting unique things. Broods of Fenrir looks good.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my ! A Season of Eden has been in my wishlist since forever! I love the sound of it. Also, Broods of Fenrir and Legend of the Inero Dragon sound awesome! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live The Hunger Games! Hope you enjoy all your reads:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the look of Vlad The Paler! Enjoy all your books, Roro! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate to say it but I still haven't read the Hunger Games. I love the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies. I've read one of the stories in the collection, but I haven't read the other one.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh a lot of books I didn't know. It sounds interesting. I really need to read The Hunger Games. One day I'll succeed I'm sure lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had A Season of Eden on my tbr forever! I hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to read A Season of Eden. I've read several of her books and have loved them.

    Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Winter's Kiss looks so cute! And you will LOVE The Hunger Games!! Thanks for visiting My IMM

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lord of the flies is an amazing book! The movie is great too :) Awesome mailbox! my IMM

    Krista - Nawanda Files

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some good books there :) I have a Season of Eden on my tbr pile at home. It sounds a good book!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on My IMM

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, great books :D They all seem interesting ;) I hope you enjoy them all. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for visiting. Great group or books.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OOO Lord of the Flies I LOVED IT. I have been wanting to get a Season of Eden and have read Overprotected by Jenn and Heavenly. She is fabulous! Enjoy your reading. What are you looking forward to most?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have been eying the Broods of Fenrir for a bit now, looking forward to a review :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. RORO!! Oh my gosh, you finally got the Hunger Games -- that is so awesome! :) That book is definitely one of my all-time faves and I really hope you love it! Plus, the Legend of the Inero Dragon looks so cool too!

    Awesome mailbox this week, Roro! Hope you enjoy all of your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Huck Finn! I haven't read it since I was a kid but when I was a kid I read it over and over. LOVED it! And Tom Sawyer, of course. Lord of the Flies is kind of a stressful read, but I think everyone should read it. I read it in 6th grade and I still remember it quite well!
    Lots of awesome books roro!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've had A Season of Eden on my shelf for almost a year. I'll be looking forward to your review, maybe I'll have to finally read it :)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Winter's kiss oh my, the cover looks AMAZING! I need to read this book! Great pick roro! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great mailbox!!I'm loving the cover of Winter's Kiss...Hope you enjoy them all...Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You've got a wide variety of books this week, enjoy!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  34. You got a lot this week, and such an eclectic mix. Vlad the Paler looks like a fun read, I hope it's good.

    My IMM, if you want to stop by - http://beasbooknook.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-my-mailbox-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. whoo! lots of books this week! Happy reading!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great haul this week! I hope you enjoy all your new books! They look fab.

    IMM at Book Brats!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great Mailbox! Loved the Hunger Games. Hope you enjoy it!
    Happy Reading!
    Em
    My IMM post
    A Beautiful Madness

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the sound of A Season of Eden. Hope you enjoy your new reads :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  39. Winters kiss looks really good, hope you enjoy all of your books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Vlad the Paler. Definitely getting that.

    Hope you enjoy your books! It was a great IMM.

    Happy reading!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  41. OK, I LOVE the cover for Winter's Kiss! Eeek!
    And oh my goodness, have you read Hunger Games? EEEE! Enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. The Hunger Games!!! and A Season of Eden!!! I looooooooooooooooooved them both so much!

    thanks for stopping by my blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yes yes yes! I love The Hunger Games. I read it forever ago, and it's still on my favorites list. Enjoy reading it!
    -JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
  44. Winter´s kiss looks cute.
    thanks for stopping by.
    My IMM
    Adriana @ Reading Fictional

    ReplyDelete
  45. I haven't read any of these, but I really should make a start on The Hunger Games soon. I want to read it before I see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have the compete Hunger Games trilogy not sure why they keep ending up at the bottom of my TBR pile..so many books so little time...LOL I read and enjoyed Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne. totally not a fan of the cover, but loved the tale. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ohhhh Lord of the Flies is AWESOME! I just did a project based on it last semester!!! Hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Interesting books this week. The Hunger Games is great of course. Vlad the Paler is the book that looks most interesting.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  49. Nice selection, broods of Fenrir looks really good, enjoy. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Enjoy the Hunger Games and your other books!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. HUNGER GAMES!!!!! <3
    And Winter's Kiss looks great too!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow! You received some amazing books! I love the Hunger Games. I read the whole series in a week. I hope you enjoy it! I read Huck Finn and Lord of the Flies in high school. I cannot wait to hear what you think of all of them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow, what a mailbox! Looks like you'll be busy for awhile! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Great IMM! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Hunger Games. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Broods of Fenris looks awesome! I hope you enjoy your haul. Thanks for stopping by my IMM.

    ReplyDelete
  56. LOOOOOORD OF THE FLIIIIIIIES.
    HUNGEEEER GAMESSSSSS.

    I got very excited, ha ha! I can't wait to read your opinion on them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  57. I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games! And I'd probably read Vlad the Paler simply because of the title. :P

    ReplyDelete
  58. I really love the Hunger Games! hope you like it.

    Happy reading! Thanks for stopping by.

    Janus @ The Blair Book Project

    ReplyDelete
  59. Those all look great! I absolutely LOVED the Hunger Games trilogy!! I hope you enjoy all of your books!!

    Stephanie @Steph's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete
  60. Great haul this week! I've heard great things about Lord of the Flies and you'll love The Hunger Games!

    Thanks for stopping by my IMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. I LOVE The Hunger Games! Such an AMAZING trilogy. I am so excited for the movie. Only two more months to go, eeeee!!!! A Season of Eden and Winter's Kiss sound great too. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Great haul you got here!! I hope you love The Hunger Games :)

    xo,
    La Toya (La Toya, Literally)

    ReplyDelete
  63. Ooh! You're reading Lord of the Flies and Huckleberry Finn! I love those books!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater